miércoles, 2 de abril de 2008

Slang (Story #6 Vitamins)

What caught my attention and shocked me in this story was the use of slang words that I never really hear being said in public. The use of the name spades is meant for African Americans in the statement,"A few spades sat in the corner and a few more worked over plates of food at tables with a red oil-cloth." Lesbo bitch is used instead of Lesbian as in the sentence,"Suit yourself. But you are not going to wake Patti. Lesbo bitch, I said."The name gooks was used to refer to a person from Vietnam when it said in the story, "I teased the gooks some. "
The use of these names makes the story really sharp and aggressive and makes me feel very uncomfortable because I do not know people who use those words and it is hard for me to read them or hear them being used by others. It is very agressive and difficult for me.

No hay comentarios: